‘Together in God’s loving family, we believe, we learn, we grow.’
Maths at St. Pius X Catholic Primary School:
We follow the 2014 National Curriculum for Maths. At St. Pius X, it is our aim to develop the following attitudes within all children through practical, hands-on lessons:
· a positive attitude towards maths and a fascination of the subject
· competence and confidence in mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills
· an ability to solve problems, to reason, to think logically and to work systematically
· initiative and an ability to work both independently and in cooperation with others
· an ability to communicate maths using appropriate mathematical language
· an ability to use and apply mathematics across the curriculum and in real life
· an understanding of mathematics through a process of enquiry and experiment.
Pupils have daily maths lessons, where they will have the opportunity to refine the following skills;
· Mental strategies
· Written methods
· Practical work
· Investigative work
· Problem solving
· Mathematical discussion
· Consolidation of basic skills and routines
During morning basic skills sessions, children spend time revising basic number facts, times tables and completing mental maths activities. It is crucial that children have time to practice times tables daily at school and also at home to support.
Pupils also now have fortnightly Arithmetic sessions, helping them to learn more of the skills required for the new curriculum.
We also follow the Collins 'Busy Ant' Maths scheme for the new National Curriculum, including their Calculation Policy. Please see link below:
Year 5 and 6 Maths with Saint John Payne
Mrs O'Leary, the Maths subject leader from Saint John Payne Senior School came in to help the children with some investigative Maths work. Pupils were set about finding the answer to the question 'how many chickpeas do you think could fit inside the classroom?'
What do you think the answer was...?
MATHS WEEK 2017
Maths week came and went with lots of fun, interactive activities. The children learnt lots from our activity carousels, maths art and big quizzes!
MATHS PARENTS' WORKSHOP
Thank you to all those who attended our workshop. Many of you have requested the PowerPoint presentations from the evening.
Please see the link below.