‘Together in God’s loving family, we believe, we learn, we grow.’
Year 5 and 6 Maths with Saint John Payne
Last week, Mrs O'Leary, the Maths subject leader from Saint John Payne Senior School came in to help the children with some investigative Maths work. Pupils were set about finding the answer to the question 'how many chickpeas do you think could fit inside the classroom?'
What do you think the answer was...?
MATHS WEEK 2016
Maths week came and went with lots of fun, interactive activities. The children learnt lots from our activity carousels, Maths art and big quizzes! The children also enjoyed our popular 'Happy Puzzle Company' workshops and were able to purchase Maths games from them at the end of the day.
MATHS WEEK 2016 IS HERE!
SEE THE POSTER BELOW FOR SOME OF THE FUN THINGS YOUR CLASS WILL BE TAKING PART IN...
Maths at St. Pius X Catholic Primary School:
We follow the 2013 National Curriculum for Maths. At St. Pius X, it is our aim to develop the following attitudes within all children through practical, hands-on lessons:
· a positive attitude towards maths and a fascination of the subject
· competence and confidence in mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills
· an ability to solve problems, to reason, to think logically and to work systematically
· initiative and an ability to work both independently and in cooperation with others
· an ability to communicate maths using appropriate mathematical language
· an ability to use and apply mathematics across the curriculum and in real life
· an understanding of mathematics through a process of enquiry and experiment.
Pupils have daily maths lessons, where they will have the opportunity to refine the following skills;
· Mental strategies
· Written methods
· Practical work
· Investigative work
· Problem solving
· Mathematical discussion
· Consolidation of basic skills and routines
During morning basic skills sessions, children spend time revising basic number facts, times tables and completing mental maths activities. It is crucial that children have time to practice times tables daily at school and also at home to support.
Investigative Maths is highly important at St Pius X and pupils have separate Maths Investigation books. In these books, pupils record regular 'hands on', interactive Maths activities completed.
Pupils also now have fortnightly Arithmetic sessions, helping them to learn more of the skills required for the new curriculum.
We also follow the Collins 'Busy Ant' Maths scheme for the new National Curriculum, including their Calculation Policy. Please see link below:
MATHS PARENTS' WORKSHOP
Thank you to all those who attended our workshop. Many of you have requested the PowerPoint presentations from the evening.
Please see the link below.
We had a ‘Maths Week’ where pupils took part in lots of interactive Maths activities such as ‘Countdown’, quizzes…and even Maths PE! Here are Year 5 taking part with Year 6...